10 Tips to Keep Your Health Goals at Holiday Parties
‘Tis the season to be jolly…AND healthy! There are lots of parties to attend, places to travel, and in general, temptations everywhere. You want to enjoy yourself, but be careful it doesn’t derail your health goals. With a few small changes and these tips, you can stay healthy through the holiday season and feel good going into the New Year!
1. Going to a party? Offer to bring a healthy appetizer or dessert. This leaves you in control of your options. Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated is key to overall health.
2. Before the party, eat a small healthy snack so you are not starving when you get there, which could lead to overindulging. Watch your portion sizes!
3. Don’t stand near the food table. It is too tempting. Grab a plate and go find someone interesting to talk with!
4. Focus on eating more plants! Hit the veggie platter first and try to stay away from refined carbs. Fruits and veggies have lots of fiber which should help you feel full longer. Be sure to add in healthy protein, too.
5. Drink in moderation. Tequila and vodka are the best low-sugar options. Wine and mixed drinks have a lot of sugar. Drink a glass of water or seltzer in between each drink.
6. If you do overindulge, let go of the guilt and get right back on track at the next meal.
7. Don’t let stress get the best of you. Meditate and practice deep breathing. Make time for self-care such as taking a nap, taking a bath, or reading a book.
8. Focus on the true meaning of the season, and family, friends, and relationships.
9. Continue your exercise routine. In fact, plan on moving your body for 10-15 minutes more each day than normal!
10. Be sure to get your sleep. Lack of sleep can make you irritable and lead to poor food choices. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night over the holiday season.
Follow these tips and get ready to feel great this holiday season!
Working mom? Busy Executive? Career and Family-Focused?
Find harmony at The Nest
Certified Health Coach and Integrative Health Specialist Amy Bowers believes in bio-individuality and works to create a personalized plan to help clients reach their health and wellness goals. For more enticing recipes, follow Amy on social @optimumwellnessandnutrition